Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] GDB BuildBot

On Wednesday, January 14 2015, I wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It took a bit more time than I was planning, but finally I am back to
> announce our BuildBot.  I really expect that it will help us improve our
> codebase and catch regressions/failures sooner (in fact, it already
> helped me to catch at least 2 regressions).

Hey guys,

It's been a week since our BuildBot is running, and I would like to
say/ask a few things.

First, thanks to Mark Wielaard for setting up a Debian Wheezy x86_64
machine as one of our buildslaves!  And also, thanks for Tulio Magno and
for IBM/UNICAMP for providing a PPC64LE VM where I could set up another
buildslave for us.  So now, GDB is being tested on:

- Fedora 21 x86_64
- Debian Wheezy x86_64
- Fedora 21 ppc64le

Not bad for a first week :-).  I also plan to set up a buildslave for us
on an AIX machine from the GCC Farm (thanks to David Edelsohn for the
reminder).

Now, the questions.

1) I am still tweaking the notifications that are sent to the
gdb-testers mailing list.  Do you have any ideas/suggestions for
improvement?

2) Are you guys actually seeing the notifications that are sent to the
gdb-testers?  :-).  I know the amount of e-mails can get annoying, and
that's why I'm trying to reduce them by tracking the XFAIL's, but I'd
like to know if this is being used.

3) Eli requested, and I created a new "make TAGS" pass that is performed
on every build.  It is failing every time now (because of the some
issues found by Eli and posted to the gdb-patches).  I could make
BuildBot generate an e-mail for every failure, but this would massively
increase the number of e-mails sent to the gdb-testers.  So, for now, I
am only sending an e-mail *if* some regression has been found.  Is it OK
for you?  Would you like me to make BuildBot send an e-mail every time
"make TAGS" fail?

Other than that, I think we our BuildBot is looking good, and we will
soon be able to filter the noise and catch only the real regressions.
Meanwhile, if you want to help, you can:

- Help me filter the XFAIL tests

- Contribute with a buildslave!

- Improve the current configuration, which can be found (temporarily) at
  <http://git.sergiodj.net/?p=gdb-buildbot.git;a=summary>.

Cheers,

--
Sergio