Re: RFC: vdso build-id standard location

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 00:13:57 +0200, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> This patch will cause 'make vdso_install' to install build-id symlinks
> to /lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION/vdso/.build-id
>
> The idea is that gdb on Linux platforms could change its default
> build-id search path to include that directory and therefore find vdso
> debug info for home-built kernels instead of just for Fedora-style
> kernel RPMs.
>
> Is this reasonable?  Is it something that can/should be easily added to gdb?

Since
	Handle VDSO section headers past end of page
	https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=5979d6b69b20a8355ea94b75fad97415fce4788c
I do not think there is a need for splitting debug info out of vDSOs, vDSO
DWARF could remain in the in-memory mapped vDSO and there is no need for
on-disk counterpart file then.  BTW I do not have it tested it works this way.

I do not remember if the debug info splitting is done by upstream kernel
install scripts or by the Fedora rpm debug info splitting scripts.
If it is done by upstream kernel scripts it should be removed and that's all.

Jan