Re: GDB/MI async output token field

On 05/29/2014 11:07 PM, Bob Rossi wrote:

The ChangeLog entry is useless, as usual. Here are relevant emails:

	https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2008-03/msg00239.html
	https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2008-04/msg00202.html

The was single case where token was included in async output, and I removed
that. I don't believe any new cases were added, and nobody was upset in
all that time, so adjusting documentation to say that async output
never includes any tokens seems reasonable to me.

Thanks! That was very helpful. I've now reproduced this behavior.

(gdb)
111-exec-run
111^running
(gdb)
111*stopped,reason="breakpoint-hit",bkptno="1",thread-id="0",frame={addr="0x08048355",func="main",args=[],file="main.c",fullname="main.c",line="5"}

The question now arises, is the intent of the documentation that ships
with GDB to accurately represent the current version of GDB or all
version up to and including the current version of GDB?

The current version of GDB obviously does not use the token in the async
output, legacy versions do.

Which should the documentation aim to match?

I'd say the documentation should match the current version merely as a practical matter. Documenting every tweak will probably
reduce readability too much.

- Volodya