This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: GDB w/ Mac OS cores: "no core file handler recognizes format"
- From: Klee Dienes <klee at MIT dot EDU>
- To: Paul Smith <psmith at gnu dot org>
- Cc: gdb at sourceware dot org, Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 22:20:08 -0500
- Subject: Re: GDB w/ Mac OS cores: "no core file handler recognizes format"
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1391120555 dot 28742 dot 307 dot camel at pdsdesk> <20140131020928 dot GY9810 at adacore dot com>
I wrote the core dump support for GDB while I was working at NeXT/Apple, and would be happy to help you if you want to fold it back into stock GDB. There should still be a copyright assignment on file for the time period it was written (but a lot could have changed since then, so it’s worth checking). You can also build the Apple GDB from the last sources released at http://opensource.apple.com/source/gdb/gdb-1344/ — the core dump support seems to be present but not quite right.
On Jan 30, 2014, at 9:09 PM, Joel Brobecker <email@example.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately I can't get it to work at all; I always get this error:
>> $ ./x86_64-darwin/bin/gdb -c core.54937 myprog
>> GNU gdb (GDB) 7.6.2
>> Reading symbols from myprog...Reading symbols from
>> "core.54937": no core file handler recognizes format
> I don't think we support core files on this platform.