Re: Background of daily update changeset?

Tom> My guess is that it's so that snapshots can be exactly identified.

Alan> Yes.  HJ distributes his "Linux binutils", based on snapshots of
Alan> mainline plus some extra patches.  Other people distribute snapshots
Alan> too.  The date gives us some chance of tying Joe User's bug report to
Alan> the source.

Tom> FWIW I'm not really convinced it is all that useful.

Alan> I agree that it doesn't make much sense for gdb..

I'm curious how much use you really get out of it for binutils.
Alternatively, Would it be sufficient if "src-release" instead stuck the
git commit hash into some file?
It's not of major importance to me, more like a rainy day thing.  But if
it's high value to you then I wouldn't change a thing.

Tom