Re: GDB with python support: which version of Python?

On Thu, 30 May 2013, Paul Smith wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> I'm trying to build a portable version of GDB, with Python support, that
> I can use on many different (GNU/Linux) systems.  It's frustrating
> because Python versions are all over the place: every distro you use, it
> seems like, has a different not-completely-compatible version.
>
> Plus, I can't find any straightforward way to build GDB with Python
> linked statically to avoid local .so version problems.  Seems GDB
> configure doesn't really support this.  I'm thinking of pulling a Python
> install without any .so to force static linking.  Have others tried
> this?

You can link with a .so copy of Python shipped with the GDB installation
using -Wl,-rpath,$ORIGIN.  Unfortunately multiple levels of shell and
makefile interpretation make passing that '$' down a pain; at Mentor we
have a shell variable setting

flags='-Wl,-rpath,'\''\\\$$\$$\\\$$\$$ORIGIN'\''/../'"$pypath"

for this purpose, but the exact levels of quotation required may depend on
exactly how you pass the linker options when configuring GDB.  See
<http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2009-10/msg00257.html>.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com