Re: [GSoC2013] question about "improve the GDB port for GNU Hurd"

Thank you for providing the requested information.

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Thomas Schwinge <thomas@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> You can clone hurd/web.git repository from Savannah, and check out the
> toolchain/logs/master branch (which I have as a Git submodule on
> toolchain/logs), and compare the
> gdb/coulomb.SCHWINGE/test/gdb/testsuite/gdb.*/*.sum files with those you
> got.

I will do the compare after I have finished the application.

> Which are the handful of files in the GDB sources that are relevant
> (only) for the native GNU Hurd support?

To my knowledge now, there are at least gnu-nat.c, i386gnu-tdep.c,
gnu-nat.h and i386gnu-nat.c relating with GNU Hurd support.

> Yes, this shows you actually did look at the sources, trying to figure
> out how it works, and what you describe is correct in principle.
> (Leaving out many details, of course.)  As you're still new to the Hurd's
> architecture, based on Mach's RPC system, it is no wonder that the
> message transport is still not completely clear to you -- that will get
> better with time, as you learn more about it.

yeah, I will continue to learn more about GNU Hurd. By the way, Last
night I have found a useful document
in this ftp(ftp://ftp.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/mach/public/doc/unpublished/exception.doc)
which explained how the GDB take advantage of Mach's exception
facility.

> No, please use the knowledge you got by now to write your application,
> and send it in, which needs to happen tomorrow.  Then, in the next
> week(s), we can still continue refining it, and you could, for example,
> prepare and send a first patch for GDB for the issue that you reported on
> IRC: so that the configure process stops with an error if targeting GNU
> Hurd and the MIG tool was not found.  (gdb/configure.ac is the file you
> need to edit, and then regenerate gdb/configure.)

I will write my application right now. And the patch is on the way,
this afternoon I have already read some How-to about autoconf.

Best Regards.

--
Yue Lu (éå)