Re: [GSoC2013] question about "improve the GDB port for GNU Hurd"

Dear Thomas Schwinge:

so thanks for your reply!

I have already played something with Hurd. I run the Hurd under
kvm(thanks braunr who tell me use kvm instead of qemu). With the help
of IRC #hurd, I successfully build my GDB from source under Hurd.
Sadly say,even apply the patch in your email ,I got a lot of fails in
the gdb testcase.
there are about _605_ fails.
(something like below:)
FAIL: gdb.base/interrupt.exp: call function when asleep (wrong output)
FAIL: gdb.base/interrupt.exp: call function a second time
FAIL: gdb.base/interrupt.exp: Send Control-C, second time
FAIL: gdb.base/interrupt.exp: send end of file
FAIL: gdb.base/annota1.exp: run until main breakpoint (timeout)

 In parallel, I tried to read the <The GNU Mach Reference Manual>,<The
Hurd Hacking Guide> and the GDB source code to figure out how GDB
works in Hurd and  interacts with the Hurd system.
To my knowledge, the GDB in Hurd allocate the port in the
debugged-program to receive events,and set the inf->trace on. Later
GDB go into the gun_wait() to  wait for something to happen in
debugged-program. And GDB use vm_write(),vm_read() to read and modify
debugged-program's memory.
But,I am still have some  confuses  about how the mach transport
message,how the virtual memory manage works.

I think the work of porting gdbserver is consist of three major components:
1. do the real work like operate the register,memory..(like set the
correct PC register,set breakpoint)
2. use the gdb protocol to communication with the GDB which run on
remote machine.
3. write document and do test

At final,I think I have the ability and the passion to finish the
porting of gdbserver to Hurd.
Since the Friday is the deadline to apply GSoC,  I want to know
whether there is more work I need to do for the  project "improve the
GDB Port for GNU Hurd". For instance  solving some FAIL testcases.

thanks and best regards.

--
Yue Lu