Spotting inferior function calls from Python

Hi,

I would like my Python code to be notified when gdb causes a function to be
run on the inferior outside of the normal program flow.  For example, this
could be used to warn the user that any side-effects might change future
program execution.

I can't simply hook the 'call' command because there are many other
commands which could in principle invoke inferior functions, and too many
false positives would be inconvenient.

It looks as though all such function calls happen via
call_function_by_hand. So the simplest approach would be for me to create a
new observer type which is notified in call_function_by_hand, and a
corresponding Python event type. Does that sound sensible?

And is such a patch likely to be accepted for inclusion, assuming all
formatting and copyright assignment requirements are met?

Thanks

Nick Bull