Re: Will therefore GDB utilize C++ or not?

On 05/21/2012 05:14 PM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2012 17:55:47 +0200, Pedro Alves wrote:
>> In my quick experiment adding a cout << "foo" (-static-libstdc++ -flto -Os
>> + strip) more than triples the binary size.
>
> Could you give specific still used device example where the current codebase
> is OK while the triple gdbserver size is no longer OK?  All the discussions
> are still very abstract.

I should point out that that question is a bit backwards.  If you can
shrink the storage to save costs, you'll do it.  But obviously you won't
shrink more than what necessary to run your software.
That - shrink storage - is the reasoning why e.g., one feature eglibc
has over glibc, is a way to configure out things that may not be needed
on an embedded system.

Google around for OpenWrt or DD-WRT for example, to find configurations
where 4-32MB flash is common.

--
Pedro Alves