Re: xz-compressed release tarballs?

> Current state: Shipped .tar.gz and .tar.bz2.
> Possibility (a): Ship .tar.gz, .tar.bz2 and .tar.xz.
> Possibility (b) - preferred by me: Ship only .tar.gz and .tar.xz.

To me, it is not a question of whether tar handles .xz or not.
It's a question whether the system has an xz decompresser or not
(tar just calls gzip/bzip/xz as far as I can tell).  The xzutils seem
to be supported on quite a wide range of platforms, but I do not know
whether they are now readily available. I know that on my (oldish)
system, it was not installed by default.

I think we can make everyone happy by simply adding the .xz format,
giving us 3 release tarballs. That would cost about 25-30MB extra
times 2-3 releases a year. I am not opposed to getting rid of the
.bz2 format, however.

--
Joel