Re: PowerPC SecurePLT - stepping into library function

On 01/06/2012 12:09 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jan 2012, Michael Eager wrote:

It seems that the best way to fix this would be to create
a new OSABI sniffer for SecurePLT which identifies that
the executable was compiled with -msecurePLT.  One issue
is how to identify these programs.  The Power Arch 32-bit ABI
(Sect 5.2.5.2, note at end) says that these will have
R_PPC_REL16 relocations.  I don't see any of these relocs.

That's about relocatable objects, i.e. static relocations in .o files, not dynamic relocations in executables and shared libraries.

I didn't see any in the .o files, either.

Is there any possibility of a chimera:  an executable compiled
using Secure PLT linking to libraries which use the old style
PLT?  Or vice-versa?  I'm assuming that this cannot happen.

As far as I know that ought to work.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. That means that an OSABI sniffer will not work.

-- Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com 1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077