Re: GIT and CVS

> The issue is how to
> save the committers the need to compose 2 different logs, one for the
> commit, the other for the ChangeLog.  This issue should be resolved by
> the VCS front end in use, like Emacs or whatever people use.  When
> such solutions exist, it is no longer an important issue whether to
> keep ChangeLog's in the repo or generate them as needed.

One problem that you are not mentioning is the fact that the ChangeLog
causes a never-ending stream of conflicts when applying patches. This
is because of how things are setup: We keep modifying the file at
the same place. ChangeLogs were interesting at a time when VCS where
limited, but we've abolished them at AdaCore ever since we moved our
GDB development to Git. The cost of maintaining them versus the actual
benefits was just too high.

--
Joel