Re: py-breakpoint.c fails to compile with MinGW GCC

> From: Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
> Cc: brobecker@adacore.com, pmuldoon@redhat.com, gdb@sourceware.org
> Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:46:13 -0600
>
> Eli> I will probably upgrade when 4.7 is released, because I understand it
> Eli> will be more debug-friendly.
>
> Is there something specific in 4.7 you are waiting for?  4.6 is probably
> good enough -- it has the biggest improvement (VTA -- first in 4.5) plus
> a few more -- but I don't know of anything so major that would advise
> skipping 4.6.

I somehow thought VTA will be only in 4.7, thanks for getting me
straight.  However, the MinGW site doesn't have 4.6 available yet, so
in practice I still need to wait.

> In practice I build gdb with -O0 when I want to debug.

I'm forced to do the same, but I hate that.  End users will use -O2
(because that's how the Makefile's are set by default), so I'm testing
code that is different from what will run out there.

> Occasionally I just rebuild a single .o this way.

That only helps if that object file has all the story for you.  It
doesn't help with backtraces that cross object file boundaries, for
example.

> but when debugging I care about 100% visibility into the source and
> nearly zero about performance.

Of course.  But some problems are only present in optimized code, as
we all well know.