Re: Cross debugger

On 15 June 2011 22:53, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> What I don't understand is why you created a cross compiler/debugger,
> while it seems to me you could have just created a native x64 MinGW
> toolset. ?That's what we do at AdaCore: We use cygwin as the build
> environment, but then build a MinGW toolset by configuring with
> --build=x86_64-pc-mingw32. As far as I know, the gdbserver will
> be automatically built.

Good point, for some reason I was thinking that since gdb would be
running withing the Cygwin environment I would need the
'--host=i686-pc-cygwin'.  If I build a native x64 MinGW gdb will it
understand Cygwin paths correctly?

>> (gdb) start
> [...]
>> Don't know how to run. ?Try "help target".
>
> And that's also expected, since you have a cross-debugger. So the
> debugger is expecting you to connect to the target where the process
> is running.

Ah, I didn't realize a cross-debugger could only be used to connect to
running process.

> But the nice thing is that, if I understand your situation correctly,
> as soon as you build a native debugger, you will not have to worry
> about that anymore.

Indeed, I hope so.

Thank you,

Chris