This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: Bug 10738 - Cannot set breakpoint on inlined function
- From: Jan Kratochvil <jan dot kratochvil at redhat dot com>
- To: Andrew Cagney <cagney at gnu dot org>
- Cc: gdb at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 10:02:59 +0200
- Subject: Re: Bug 10738 - Cannot set breakpoint on inlined function
- References: <BANLkTinNu_2FR4nYd2hxMyypz5wFMwDbzg@mail.gmail.com>
On Sun, 29 May 2011 16:43:16 +0200, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> This bug apparently recently came up on the GCC lists, and RMS is
> drawing it to our attention. Does it pique anyone's interest?
while it is sure a high priority Bug it is meaningful only for interactive
debugging of -O2 -g code. AFAIK most of the GDB use cases is only for
backtracing, both automatic (ABRT, Apport, others) and by hand (bt+quit) as
people do not want to learn all the GDB commands.
-O2 -g interactive debugging (stepping) is not yet much feasible due to the
"jumping around" as GCC does not produce valid DW_LNS_negate_stmt and does not
properly undo/redo variable states by DWARF across scheduled instructions, as
planned by Alexandre Oliva.
The highest priority is to get at least the backtraces working for -O2 -g code.
For example archer-jankratochvil-entryval for it I will submit these weeks.