Re: Getting pissed off by gdb. Please help with stepping in.

To me it's the difference between stepping during

  foo(1);

and

  foo (bar());

In the former, the last "step" that returns from foo returns to the
caller - it's intuitive and what I expect.
In the latter, the last "step" in bar doesn't return to the caller,
instead it proceeds until we get into foo.  I just stepped out of a
function - how come I've also stepped into another function?

Also, when typing "s" and then constantly hitting <return> to move
things along, it's useful to see that extra step in the flow of the
program: the point between the return from bar and the call to foo.

As a data point, there is a time where stepping does stop in the
middle of a source line: next over longjmp (he says after having just
revisited why longjmp.exp has failures on amd64 (pointer mangling) and
tried it on i386).  According to the thread from bug 9270, the
intended fix IIUC is to keep stepping through the longjmp until it
returns - I wonder if there's an overlap here.