Re: real world reverse debugging success story

Michael Snyder wrote:
Marc Khouzam wrote:
[...]
Stats: used an 8 million instruction cache, running as a
ring buffer.  Had to record over 80 million instructions
before I tripped the bug.  Saved core file with record log
was 250 megabytes, and reloaded fine.
Very impressive!

How was the responsiveness?  I assume you didn't step
over all those instuctions ;-)  So, you must have run the program
and have it be recorded for a while.  I'm wondering if the execution
was annoyingly slow, or if it was ok.

The record phase was kind of slow, but I'm sure that was impacted by a very large number of notifications to the effect that process record would not record some memory because it could not get the segment register.

Replay was not bad at all, about 15 seconds to get from
"goto-bookmark begin" to "goto-bookmark end".  For 80
million instructions, that's about 5 million insns / sec.

Much faster than a first gen IBM PC, for instance! ;-)

Oh, sorry, it was 8 million insns, so about 0.5M / sec.