Re: Cell SDK GDB versus GNU GDB

George Russell wrote:

> I am curious to know if the GNU gdb current versions have incorporated
> the work on GDB done as a part of the Cell SDK. I would like to use
> features of the MI interface of GDB present in GNU gdb, but absent in
> the Cell SDK version.
>
> Does anyone know the status of a merge, if any?

The bulk of the Cell SDK GDB features, in particular multi-architecture
debugging support, have now been merged into mainline GDB.

To the best of my knowledge, there are only two features that have not
been merged:

- Improved handling of multiple definitions of symbols of the same name:
  http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2008-05/msg00190.html

- SPU-specific GDB/MI extensions (-spu-info-...):
  http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2007-06/msg00020.html

[ In both cases, there was some concern in the community on whether the
feature and/or the implementation is the right way to go, and then we
didn't really follow up to bring the issues to a resolution. ]

If you do not specifically depend on either of those features, current
GDB mainline should work fine on Cell.  If you have any problems getting
it to work, please let me know ...

Bye,
Ulrich

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand
  GNU Toolchain for Linux on System z and Cell BE