[7.0] PR/9723: gdb breakpoints silently fail on PIE binaries

Hi,

One painful aspect of GDB right now is that it doesn't handle PIE (Position
Independent Executable) and doesn't even recognize a PIE binary when it sees
one. I have an action item for 7.0 which is to make GDB at least complain that
it is being given such a binary and warn the user appropriately. That would be
enough to close the bugzilla in the subject and ship 7.0 (as we have discussed
before in this mailing list).

Then for 7.1 somebody could push upstream one of the two circulating patches
which implement PIE support, and close PR/9174 (gdb can't handle PIE).

All this to say: can somebody save me some research time and tell in high
level how can I recognize from looking at an ELF file that I'm dealing with a
PIE binary (NOT a PIC library, of course)? Something like "see if the frob bit
in the bozo section is set") is enough, I can go from there.
--
[]'s
Thiago Jung Bauermann