Re: -stack-list-locals and children

Andrà PÃnitz wrote:

> On Monday 29 June 2009 10:59:06 Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> As I mention in other email, getting the number of children is in general
>> impossible. Maybe, "has_children" flag would be more appropriate -- this
>> is somewhat more likely to be computable.
>
> And sufficient for that use case. So yes, that would be fine.
>
>> I am not sure it was you, but there was an IRC discussion about making
>> -stack-list-locals also print type of things -- can you describe exactly
>> how you gonna use that information, so that I have a chance to implement
>> that properly?
>
> One point was always to reduce the number of roundtrips before
> being able to display the variable view. I think that's a valid point
> also from a KDevelop angle of view.

Right, but how variable type is helping? Is it used *just* to populate
the "type" field in variable view? Or is it also involved in QtCreator's
pretty-printing mechanisms somehow?

>> One important question is whether knowing a type of expression, without
>> knowing its address, is gonna help you very much.
>
> Yes, as the address is not as prominently displayed in the view as the
> type having the type quickly even without an address would help.

But will address help if the object being displayed needs pretty-printing?
Say, QString? I am not actually sure how you do pretty printing, but I'd imagine
that address should always be needed.

- Volodya