RE: MI register groups

Just for your knowledge, the Eclipse CDT integration of GDB does provide
register groups, but it seems to be done within eclipse.
I didn't work on it myself, but I found this comment:

 /**
  * For the GDB GDBMI implementation there is only on group. The GPR and FPU registers are grouped into
  * one set. We are going to hard wire this set as the "General Registers".
  */

And then everything about register groups is being done without using MI or GDB.
If such an approach is sufficient for you, it would be much easier to get done.

Marc