Re: Remote core file debugging

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:08:02 -0700
From: David Daney <ddaney@caviumnetworks.com>
CC: gdb@sourceware.org

I must be missing something, but why can't you move the core file to the debugging host and debug it there with gdb?

Sorry, I should have said that in the first place: because it's huge, and there are quite a few of them. It's not a single target system, either: there are a few dozen of them, so copying huge core files from all of them would be at least time consuming if not impractical.

GDBserver cannot currently do what you want.

Options include
1) Teach gdbserver to understand core files, and
2) Write a corefile server that understands gdb serial protocol.

#2 might be a bit easier, at least if you start with libbfd
which already knows how to read core files.  Your server would
only need to understand a reasonably small subset of commands
(memory read, register read, possibly threads if your system
includes them).