This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the GDB project.

Re: google summer of code

Thanks Thiago, I think it's a very cool idea.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 22:25, Thiago Jung Bauermann
<> wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering whether we want to participate in the Google Summer of
> Code. The application period for mentoring organizations is from March 9
> until March 13th, so now is a good time to decide if it will be
> beneficial for us.
> I think two benefits that we get from the program are: 1. possibility of
> attracting new gdb developers and 2. a helping hand for features we want
> to develop.
> There are some disadvantages too. From what I read, the main problem is
> that mentoring a student takes some time and effort. From the GSoC
> Mentors Wiki:
> "However talented the students are who you may select, they will require
> significant attention from your developers, so release schedules and the
> desire of your community to be supportive are important considerations.
> Many organizations have found great rewards in mentoring, but most agree
> that they underestimated the amount of time that mentoring requires.
> As a potential administrator you should also consider that you will be
> responsible for getting reports and forms in to the GSoC website on
> time. You should make sure that your potential mentors realize that they
> will need to take time to evaluate students at the mid and final points
> of the 12 week period.
> Failure to meet the reporting requirements or mentoring requirements of
> GSoC is a serious infraction, and reflects poorly on your organization.
> If you have a big release coming out during the summer that will require
> all hands, you may wish to reconsider applying."
> We have some ideas for projects that a student could implement in:
> Some that may be worth considering for this:
> 1. Help with Python scripting support;

It must can make a lot of people interested in.  When I told about gdb
in some place, must have a lot of people ask me if gdb support python
or not.  :)

> 2. Help with reversible debugging (not sure if teawater and Michael need
> a helping hand there);

I am not very clear the GSOC want student get .
But maybe we can let these students do some test with reverse debug
and precord,  of course write some testsuite is better. :)
They can not only test reverse debug with precord, but also test
reverse debug with some remote-stub that support reverse-debug (For
example, vmware and Simics. Maybe we need help from Jakob and
I think it will help gdb reverse debug very much. :)