adding new commandline interface to gdb ?

Hi,

We are connecting gdb running on cygwin host into gdbserver running on
target using the command "target remote host:port". The gdbserver contains
the name of the target, for example

TargetName = "xxx".

We would like to read the name of the target from gdb, using command-line
interface.
Lets say we would like to add the new command

(gdb) target info target-name

This should display the target name "xxx".

Initially before thinking on RSP protocol, we need to register this command.

Please give us some guidelines on how to register or how to proceed to add
new commandline interface to get the target name.

Thanks in advance
Raja Saleru