Re: Robustify frame_unwind_address_in_block heuristic?

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 04:41:42PM +0200, Frederic RISS wrote:
> I have to admit that the above is a convoluted case which shouldn't show
> up in a 'standard' debug session. It's also not the first time I wish
> that frame unwinders were more flexible/modular, but it's the first time
> that I wasn't able to work around the issue without patching GDB's core
> functionality. Would it be acceptable to add a check to the above
> function that checks whether pc-1 points into the same function as pc?

No.  That's exactly the issue this code was written to handle :-)

> Or maybe someone sees another way to prevent that issue?

I don't see how to generically handle this case unless you can
distinguish it from this example:

my_function:
	do_stuff
	call noreturn_function
unrelated_function:
	do_unrelated_stuff

But there's rarely anything to handle the special kind of call in your
'returned-to' function, so from what's on the stack, I don't know how
we can tell.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery