gdb support for wide char

hi

in gdb, i usually use "p" or "x /s" to print strings in my program.
But the problem is, when i write some program for non-english user,
i usually use utf-8 or utf-16 strings. gdb can not print those string properly.
so i want to write a patch to gdb so that gdb can support printing utf strings.

I am not familar with the gdb source files, can someone give some ideas
about where i should start and which part of the source files cover the topic?
Any hints or ideas are great

Thanks
Yifan