Watch point support for PPC and Linux with GDB

Hello,

           Can anybody give me some specifics about what sort of watch
point support GDB 6.7.1 has running on a Freescale 8540 with Linux?
Neither hardware nor software watch points seem to behave properly,
even though both can be set. The watch points can be set but execution
never stops when those memory locations are written to or read from.
Looking over previous postings it seems like perhaps hardware watch
points aren't supported but I'm not even able to get them to work in
software.

Thanks!