RE: GDB on Solaris 10

Thanks, Joel, on the strength of that I tried it again.

I got GDB 6.8 working for 32-bits just by fixing the warning mentioned
in problem report 2481. The issue described there, I now think is due to
trying to debug a 64-bit application with a 32-bit GDB. (That is what I
was doing and I saw the same errors). This is explained here:
http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2001-01/msg00195.html

Building GDB for 64-bit was the problem. By googling I found out to try

> CC="gcc -m64" ./configure

Is that the recommended method? I can't find this in the GDB
documentation.
There are various sparc64 targets in the Makefiles, so I tried things
like

> ./configure --target=sparc64-sun-solaris2.10

But this just seems to give it a different label. (Or do I need both?)
Is there a list of valid targets anywhere?

There must be something clever going on behind the scenes because the
link lines for 32-bit and 64-bit (when using CC="gcc -m64") are quite
different.

With 64-bit I got complaints about undefined symbols wattr_on and
wattr_off in the curses library, which is not a problem for the default
32-bit compile.

Some more googling led me to:

> CC="gcc -m64" ./configure --disable-tui
> make

And I have a 64-bit GDB that kind of works! So thanks again for the
help.

For future reference I would be interested to know if this is the right
way to compile 64-bit on Solaris, and (unless I have missed it) perhaps
it needs to be documented somewhere?

cheers

Gareth Williams