Re: Address spaces

Ulrich Weigand wrote:
If you're interested into more details, I'll be happy to send you my current patchset.
Thanks, I don't think I need them.
What does *not* work satisfactorily in all circumstances right now are user
interface issues.  I don't want to expose the mangled CORE_ADDR to the user,
so the extra bits are stripped via gdbarch_addr_bits, and reinserted by the
gdbarch_integer_to_pointer family of functions, based on whether the currently
selected frame is SPU or PowerPC code.

This makes it e.g. impossible to input a PowerPC address while in a SPU frame,
which would be useful occasionally. To do that right we'd have to expose a
user interface mechanism to select address spaces, though.
Between yours and Doug's and Paul's and Michael's examples :-) , I think it's pretty clear that we will want some kind of user interface. In the general case, a target can create arbitrarily-named address spaces, while in the conventional multiprogram case, address space names could simply be copied from exec names or process ids.

Stan