Re: [RFC] string handling in python

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 17:30 -0600, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Thiago> So, in my opinion for GDB's Python bindings we should always
> Thiago> use Unicode strings, and convert to/from desired encodings as
> Thiago> necessary. Strings provided by the user would be assumed to
> Thiago> have host_charset () encoding, and strings coming from/going
> Thiago> to the inferior would be assumed to have target_charset ()
> Thiago> encoding.
>
> Sounds reasonable to me.
>
> I thought we already did some of this... search for host_charset in
> the python directory.

It doesn't really work. PyString_Decode transforms the string from
host_charset to unicode, and then from unicode to Python's default
charset (almost always ASCII). So if you have any non-ASCII character in
the string, Python won't even be able to print the string on screen. I
just made the test, by making valpy_str use PyString_Decode instead of
PyString_String:

(gdb) p s
$2 = 0x80484f0 "acentuaÃÃo"
(gdb) py a = gdb.get_value_from_history (1)
(gdb) py print a
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe5' in position 17: ordinal not in range(128)

Oddly enough, if I use PyString_String then the example works. I'm not
sure why, though. Probably PyString_String doesn't try to convert back
and forth between charsets, and just prints the stream of bytes to the
screen hoping for the best...

> Thiago> So for example, to create a value object of char * type using
> Thiago> a string provided by the user or coming from Python code, GDB
> Thiago> would first convert the Python string object (assumed to be in
> Thiago> the host charset) to a unicode object (this process is called
> Thiago> "decoding", in python parlance), and then convert it from
> Thiago> unicode to a string in the target charset.
>
> This sounds like a good candidate for convenience functions, one for
> each direction.

Right, I'll add them.
--
[]'s