Re: Automatic dependency tracking

> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:28:58 -0400
> From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
>
> Option two: we could require GNU make.  GCC has done this for years,
> but binutils does not; it may be premature.

I'd like to avoid this if we can.  On OpenBSD we include GDB in the
base system, but we don't have GNU make.  This'll mean I'll have to do
extensive makefile hackary whenever I import a new version of GDB in
the OpenBSD tree.  I'd rather spend that time on hacking more useful
stuff.

> Option three: we could manually list dependencies on generated files,
> and support dependencies on source files only on systems with GNU
> make.  This effectively means GNU make is a requirement if you are
> hacking on GDB, but not to build GDB from a clean tree.

Given the way CVS handles time stamps on checkouts, this probably gets
me in the same situation as above.