Re: MI non-stop mode spec

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:11:17PM +0300, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> It seems like I have over-engineered this one. The --global option
> was meant so that we can evaluate expressions while the target is
> running, but:
>
> - Generally, we cannot access target memory when all threads are
> running
> - GDB is full with assumptions that we have current thread and current
> frame, so even if target can access memory when all threads is running,
> gdb will still try to grab selected frame, and that will try to grab
> target's register, and that will result in error.
>
> So, I'd like to remove the --global option. This means that the --thread
> option must be used to specify which thread to operate on, and that
> thread must be stopped.

On targets that can access memory without stopping, I think that's a
valuable feature that we ought to support if we can.  Do you think
adding --global is impractical?  Maybe we can create a special frame
for this - one which returns an error if you access its registers or
unwind it, just a placeholder frame really.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery