Re: RFC: File transfer commands

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 11:39:15PM +0000, Pedro Alves wrote:
> > Are these the right commands for it?
> Did you consider reusing the file-I/O remote protocol extension (with
> host/target reversed)?
> http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_33.html#SEC681

I stayed as close to it as I could manage.  The differences are
unavoidable, though, because the File I/O bits store pathnames as
address/length pairs in target memory.  It's too silly (and sometimes
too hard) to poke a filename into target memory just so the debug
server can open it.

My first draft used the same Fopen, Fwrite, etc. packets as the
File I/O bits.  Eventually I realized that that assigned two
conflicting meanings to the F packet.  If I'd tried it on a
stub that supported both it would have gotten really hairy.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery