Re: frame cache

Michael Eager wrote:
I have a couple questions about the <target>_frame_cache
structure and functions.

1)  This appears to be a single-entry cache.  Why not keep
    multiple entries?

2)  The data in the frame cache seems to be of two different
    types:
    a)  Fixed, based on analyzing the code: register offsets,
        stack alignment, framelessness, etc.
    b)  Variable, based on the call: return pc, frame base

    It looks to me that the object code is analyzed repeatedly
    and this fixed information is discarded along with the
    variable information.

    Why not keep a persistent cache of function specific fixed
    data and only discard the call-specific data when the frame
    cache is cleared?

Is there any documentation about what target-specific data
the frame cache is supposed to contain or how the functions are
supposed to work?

And one more question:

3)  In <target>_skip_prologue(), an dummy <target>_frame_cache is
    created to be passed to <target>_analyze_prologue().  This
    dummy cache entry is discarded.   Why not retain this info?

-- Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com 1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077