Re: GDB version numbering

Nick Roberts wrote:
> > 2008 8.0 8.1
> > 2009 9.0 9.1
> > 2010 10.0 10.1
> > etc?
> > Honestly, I don't think this bring any benefit at all. version 10.x
> is as cryptic as version 6.x. Perhaps if you had suggested that
> we use version 2008, 2009, etc. But even then I don't see any benefit.

I don't see how it can be as cryptic.  I know Ubuntu 6.04 is about 15 months
old.  Can you tell me offhand how old GDB 5.3 or GDB 4.18 is?  The benefit
probably isn't great but then there is no expense either.

The reason to bump the major version doesn't need to be technical and previously hasn't. For instance, 5.x signified the freeing of GDB's CVS repo. Here, similarly, we've got the GPLv3 change that while non-technical is a very major change for GDB; something worth considering as a trigger for a major version number bump:

   GDB 7 is GPLv3+
   GDB 6 is GPLv2+

Andrew

 > I prefer the current numbering scheme. We can keep a 6.x version number
 > until we have something major happening. The last time, it was the
 > transition to multi-arch I think. For 7.0, it looks like it will be
 > python scripting support.

It will surely be an impressive feat but AFAICS it's still just the work of one
person.  The major number changes seem a little bit arbitrary and perhaps
diminish the work of others who contribute towards a minor number change.
It's not a big deal though, I was just brainstorming a bit.