Re: What's an annex? stratum?

Jim Blandy wrote:

For what it's worth --- we don't invest enough time in
doc/gdbint.texinfo to keep it a clear, accurate reference to the
code.  (For me, at least, this is a deliberate decision.)  It's more a
collection of the clearer explanations that have appeared on the
mailing list over time.

Unfortunately, much of it is obsolete. Some sections, like 9.6, make this explicit. Other sections say that the area is in flux, like section 9.7. Other sections don't tell you that they are out of date (like the section about libgdb?).

Some important parts are simply missing, like the sections titled
Console Printing, TUI, Frame Interpretation, Inferior Call Setup, and
others.

I don't mean to harp on the documentation, but often the "clearer
explanations" amount to commentary about how the old technique didn't
work well and the new technique is better.  That may be true, but it
doesn't reveal much about how to use the technique.

If I get to the point where I think I really understand an area,
I'll be happy to contribute to documentation improvements.  I'm
not there at the moment.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077