Re: GDB and scripting languages - which

"Kaz Kylheku" <kaz@zeugmasystems.com> writes:
> Jim Blandy wrote:
>> I would prefer that GDB use a single extension language, and that that
>> language be Python.
>
> I think it would be best to have a libgdb.so shared library with a
> well-defined API. Then people can write their own bindings to call it
> from whatever programming environment suits them.

This would be the right design, if we were writing from scratch.  But
it's a very large effort.

Also, one of the consequences of C being a low-level language is that
interfaces are more sensitive to changes to the library's internals.
It's much easier to design a (say) Python interface that allows us to
continue to improve GDB's architecture internally without breaking
clients.

> Guile is not even particularly attractive people who are already Scheme
> programmers. For serious Scheme work, there are better implementations
> out there.

Yep.