Re: gdb very slow during 'step into'

> I have tried to add some printf() around the patch to see if I could
> trace some stuff but nothing got printed on stdout. Is that normal ?.
> If yes, how can I add logs to understand what is going on ?

No; ordinary fprintf (stderr, ...) should work in GDB.
Okay, I was foolishly doing printf(). My fault.
fprintf(stderr,...) does work.

You're using GDB's command line interface, right? If that function
isn't getting
called at all, then that may be part of the problem.

It is actually getting called. This code fails:

struct minimal_symbol *resolver
   = find_minsym_and_objfile ("_dl_runtime_resolve", &objfile);

So the _dl_runtime_resolve symbol is not found.

First, what kind of system are you using? You've mentioned Debian, and binutils 2.17, but what architecture is it?
x86.

Is /lib/ld-linux.so.2 normally installed stripped on your system?
Yes .

Cheers,

Dodji.