When will the gcc not include full path in the debug info

Hi,

In GDB manual, section "Specifying source directories", it says "Executable programs sometimes do not record the directories of the source files from which they were compiled, just the names."

I am curious when will this rule take effect? I have checked the gcc man page, seems no ways to let it use only the file name instead full path.

Thanks a lot.
ABAI