Memleaks?

Hi

I was using gdb compiled with cygwin for Windows (XP). I noticed that
the memory usage was continuously increasing. So I made a test:
I just repeatedly loaded a symbol file without doing other stuff. Some
times I'd just do "file" to clear the symbols. I looked with Process Explorer
at the memory usage. It seems as this memory is never completely
freed until gdb quits. But sometimes restarting gdb isn't an option
so this memory increase is a bit disturbing.

Is this a known problem? Am I seeing something else? Is there some
kind of flush command (couldn't find) or should "file" release all allocated
memory?

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4447/gdbmemleakib1.gif

gdb without a symbol file would use about 3.5MB but that fell off the scale.

I admit that I used not a state-of-the-art gdb, but I don't think that
this was changed recently. I'd be pleased if you can correct me.

GNU gdb 6.2.50_2004-10-14-cvs
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=powerpc-eabi".

Thanks

bye  Fabi