Re: Gdb

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:38:49 +1000
From: Russell Shaw <rjshaw@netspace.net.au>
CC:  gdb@sourceware.org

There are places with long sequences of:

  if() {
  }

  if() {
  }

  if() {
  }

Instead of something more rigorous like:

  if() {
  }
  else if {

These two are not the same. If you can show us places where the conditions are disjoint, i.e. they cannot happen together, please do.

When a "run" resets a simple breakpoint, the stack depth is no less
than 35 levels.

That is not necessarily a sign of bad design. For example, when Emacs does garbage collection, the stack depth sometimes exceeds 10,000 levels when recursive data structures are marked. That is normal and by design.

The slowness and size of emacs put me off it. I use (g)vim because editing using ex regex commands is a more direct way at doing things imho.

It also invokes a tortuous 10-level trip thru various
"memory set" functions until it eventually reaches target_xfer_partial or whatever,
intermingled with re-reading symbol files, re-syncing dynamic libraries, and
resetting breakpoints.

This multi-level trip is mostly for valid reasons.

It still seems excessive at the way it currently works, but i'll look at it again another time.

It's undoable by anyone not intimately familiar with the code which means
weeks of prodding with a second gdb.

That is a wild exaggeration, IMO. When I first came to hack GDB to submit a patch, it was no harder than in any other real-life program.

Perhaps you lack good tools for learning programs, or don't use them
to their full power.

I just use ctags to navigate in gvim.

I've been going to make a new GUI frontend for gdb but i keep getting
blocked by bugs in other tools.