Re: WeirdProcess runs in GDB but not natively

grinthock <grinthock@gmail.com> writes:
> Unsure if this is the perfect place to post this, if you know another
> appropriate place please advise.
>
> I have a compiled app, when I attempt to run it with ./appname it fails with
> an "ABORT TRAP"  and i'm unsure of why.
>
> Someone suggested GDB, so I of course ran it with  GDB ./process and then
> RUN  and the program runs.
>
> So why would a program run in GDB, but not natively?  What's different?
>
> Thanks.  (FYI, it's a Darwin on a PPC G5 PowerMAC)

Generally GDB tries to disturb the program as little as possible.
Ideally programs would always behave exactly the same way under GDB
that they do otherwise.

I couldn't say from what you've written here what's going on.  I'm the
opposite of a Darwin expert, though.  Maybe the program is
multi-threaded, and has a race condition, and its timing is being
affected by GDB.

If you have a program you can post that we could try out ourselves,
that would be the most helpful thing.