[newbie]About gdb watchpoint

Hello, everyone!
   I'm thinking of implementing gdb's watchpoint by instrumentation,
i.e. to add some code in the program automatically to fulfil the
watchpoint function without using gdb.
   In other words, I want a mechanism to watch some variables when a
program is running, and then one can take different actions according
to the changes of variable. I think this idea is intersting and
useful.
   I've the following questions:
   1. Are there any such tools already?
   2. Is this idea feasible? I mean I'm not a gdb hacker, so I don't
know whether it is feasible to provide the watchpoint function outside
gdb.
   3. If it is feasible, would someone give me some instructions on
how to get it done, how to implement a watchpoint and even more
basiclly, how gdb watchpoint works.
   Any help will be appreciated!
   Best regards!
Leonid