WeirdProcess runs in GDB but not natively

Unsure if this is the perfect place to post this, if you know another
appropriate place please advise.

I have a compiled app, when I attempt to run it with ./appname it fails with
an "ABORT TRAP"  and i'm unsure of why.

Someone suggested GDB, so I of course ran it with  GDB ./process and then
RUN  and the program runs.

So why would a program run in GDB, but not natively?  What's different?

Thanks.  (FYI, it's a Darwin on a PPC G5 PowerMAC)