Re: breakpoint for accessing memory location

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 06:11:52AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:18:47 -0400
> > From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
> > Cc: dewar@adacore.com, rodney.bates@wichita.edu, gdb@sourceware.org
> >
> > > Trouble? what trouble?  Just sample the value of the expression for
> > > several random values of the variables, and if the value doesn't
> > > change, consider it constant.
> >
> > Was this sarcasm?  If not, please consider "watch p != 42" for a couple
> > of random values of p.
>
> If that couple includes 42, then all is okay.

What are you trying to get at here?  Please don't suggest that we
should obviously try 42 because it appears in the source expression;
there are plenty of other examples where that is insufficient.  I think
such a warning would be extremely ill-considered, since it is
computationally infeasible for us to work out which expressions are
constant and which are just rare. Lots of the things people want to
watch will be rarely changing.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery