Re: Weird debugging problem

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 03:49:28PM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> When I run the program in gdb, eventually (usually after running for 12+
> hours), I get the following:
> [New Thread -1734661200 (LWP 67296)]
> Can't attach LWP 67296: No such process
> (gdb)
> Now, if I'm not mistaken, that is not a valid process ID for Linux or
> most other Unix type operating systems.
>
> If I do a back trace at that point, it reports the current thread is the
> main parent, which is currently in a nanosleep (and that thread's normal
> behavior after start-up is to sleep most of the time and do house
> keeping tasks when it wakes up).
>
> At this point I am at a complete loss about what could be happening or
> what to try next, so after scanning through archives and a short period
> of lurking, I decided to hope that someone here could provide some
> advice.

The error itself is fairly common and can have many causes, but I admit
the >32k PID is odd and suggests that something different is happening
here.  I'm afraid I can't offer you much advice.  When this happens,
you might want to check which threads actually exist, by looking in
/proc/PID/task.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery