Re: GDB printf command

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 03:09:03PM +0100, Andrew STUBBS wrote:
The expression parser/evaluator must use host types at some level. Does this not have similar horrors hidden away? If this can convert target types to host types (of at least the same precision) can the printf not be implemented with the same mapping somehow?

Well, I suppose all we need to do is appropriate widening. We can pass everything to the host code as LONGESTs and DOUBLESTs.

Are you interested in working on this?  If so, I can quickly pull
together a patch to add the printf backend that I was thinking of;
all it'll need is glue.

I'm not really sure what you are suggesting I do exactly. What do you think ought to be done and where?

How much effort do you think it will take? Like everyone else I don't have enormous amounts of time for projects I wasn't expecting.

Assuming it isn't a big task I am certainly interested in getting it done right. Whatever that is, hopefully it does include the same target working the same on all hosts (or at least all the same features working, for some definition of 'work').

Andrew