gdb build error: termcap

Hi All,

I'm pretty new to gdb, so hopefully the following issue isn't too
trivial.  I'm compiling a cross gdb under Cygwin.  I intend to use GDB
to debug an ARM-based embedded board.  I've run into an error in the
build process involving the termcap library.  I ran the configure script
as follows:

cd build-gdb
../gdb-6.5/configure --target=arm-elf
--prefix=/cygdrive/d/ECE5780/Fall2006/NewTools/Install

I then ran make.

Make fails in the gdb sub-directory in the gdb-6.5 directory, reporting
that the termcap library is missing.
However, when I create a simple test program and attempt to
cross-compile the test program which links against termcap, it builds
without error.

I checked my config.log file, and discovered the following, repeated a
few times as it checks for an appropriate link against ncurses, curses,
tinfo, etc.:

<snip>
configure:8292: gcc -o conftest.exe -g -O2   conftest.c -ltermcap   >&5
conftest.c:45: error: parse error before '/' token
conftest.c:45: error: missing terminating " character
configure:8298: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""

<snip>

| #define PACKAGE "gdb"
| #define DEBUGDIR "/cygdrive/d/ECE5780/Fall2006/NewTools/install
/lib/debug"
| #define DEFAULT_BFD_ARCH bfd_arm_arch
| #define DEFAULT_BFD_VEC bfd_elf32_littlearm_vec
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| #endif
| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| char tgetent ();
| int
| main ()
| {
| tgetent ();
|   ;
|   return 0;

Please note that the carriage return at the end of the line #define
DEBUGDIR is not simply word-wrapping of the editor.  There is an actual
hard return there.

It seems that the /lib/debug should be part of the path defined for
DEBUGDIR, but gets placed on the next line down, resulting in a parse
error by the compiler.

I have cygwin set up with Dos as the default text file type.  Is there
something weird about CR/LF that configure doesn't handle properly?
Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get around this issue?

Thanks,
Brandon Eames.