Re: How to coerce gdb into pseudo-cross-compiling when build == host?

Kaz Kylheku wrote:
I'm building a Linux system from scratch. Everything builds for MIPS and
i686 using the same script, except for gdb.

The problem is that it thinks it's not being cross-compiled and starts
using plain "gcc" for compiling and linking, which brings in the build
system's local header files and libraries.

I want it to use the toolchain that my script built for it, which will
use the header files that I installed into the target filesystem tree,
and the libraries that the script built earlier: glibc, ncurses, etc.

I fooled gcc's configure into using "i686-linux-gcc" by lying to it
using --build=i686-bsd.

Everything worked.

But what's the a better way to do this, without lying about the OS?

Basically, the --build is totally irrelevant. It seem that I could put
in some nonsense like "mk68-solaris" and it would still work. Anything
/but/ the actual architecture and OS that I'm actually building on.

'path_to_gdb/configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=mipsel-linux --host=mipsel-linux' does not work for you?

I (sucessfully) cross build gdb with that exact configure command.

I should also note that I have never had to lie to configure in the manner you suggest for gcc either. The configure system for gdb, binutils and gcc works well for cross building in all the cases I have tried.

David Daney